Whole wheat buttermilk loaf with oats and flax seeds
|Dough ready to be baked|
|Soft and full of goodness|
|Flax seeds and oats topping|
|Just right for breakfast|
This loaf is the 3 rd in the series of trying out this particular style of baking bread. What I liked about it is it's easy, no kneading, has scope for mistakes, takes much less efforts and time and best part being you can play around with toppings and ingredients. I am now using the basic technique and not measuring up anymore. That's what home chefs do!! No stress and less clutter. I like my recipes to be simple , less complicated, few ingredients , made with whatever is available at home and should not take long. No fun in cooking with complications. Love the big holes in it and the fact that it's full of flavor and goodness. The buttermilk was a good addition. I had enough today for a loaf and then a focaccia. My family is addicted to my breads and dislikes store bought bread now. Sharing the basic recipe used here today.
5 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp salt
2 tbsp milk powder
1.5 tsp instant yeast
2 tsp sugar
1 cup thick buttermilk
1 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp vinegar
2-3 tbsp oil
2 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 cup oats
1. Put the flour, oats and flax seeds in a mixing bowl. Reserve a tbsp mix of oats and flax seeds for topping.
2. Put in the salt, sugar, yeast and mix well.
3. Mix the buttermilk, milk, water and vinegar. Keep for 15 mins.
4. Now mix all the wet ingredients together with the dry ones. It's a thick sticky batter/ dough. Knead lightly to rule out any knots. This takes max 3-4 mins. No overworking.
5. Add 2 tbsp oil and keep to ferment for at least 2 hours.
6. Now pour this into a greased butter paper lined loaf tin.
7. Keep for another hour or so.
8. Brush with milk.
9. Sprinkle oats and flaxseeds on top.
10. put into a preheated oven at 200 deg C.
11. Bake for about 45-50 mins. Pierce with a tooth pick to see if it's done. Bake till golden brown.
12. Remove and brush with butter.
13. Slice only when it's cold.
14. Enjoy it with topping of your choice!!